Wednesday, July 14, 2010

THOUGHTS



This is a cycle, that at anytime we can stop it and make it go a different way. Why do we not see all the poverty in our own country...or better yet even in our own back yard. Come walk with me for a day around the few blocks of my office and I can show you some poverty. I am sure a lot of people think that these peoplecould end there own poverty by simply stopping the cycle there selfs, but how do you do that if you are a person who has never even learned to read or write. By cycle I mean that usually 99% of the time a person who is living in poverty did not come from a wealthy family and just decide to live like this. They came from a family where they too lived in poverty all the way back to as far as they can remember they lived in poverty. Some people do not even have fresh drinking water. I am not talking over in Africa either I am talking RIGHT HERE IN BOWLING GREEN KY! How do we stop this cycle. How about not buying those pair of earrings that you think you HAVE to have and give that money to an organization that will help rebuild the community. That's right for the price you pay for that latte you could be helping a family be able to eat a good meal tonight. Think about that the next time you are sitting down with your family in a nice cozy house at your kitchen table eating dinner. Think about the people just right down the road who have NOTHING to offer there kids. Lets give them a hand up....not a hand out. My goal this year for christmas time is to sit Peyton down (Tarryn is to young) and talk with her about raising money to help those in need. I would love to find a homeless shelter or a soup kitchen that I could take her to and we could work at and maybe let her see that some people including kids do not get ANYTHING at Christmas time. I am going to limit the number of gifts she gets to very minimal and then let her be involved in some sort of program to help the kids in our community who need it most. Now I jsut have to find the area that needs the most help and come up with a plan to help them out...Or maybe even a family in Morgantown who is in need I can help out this year... Iam going to do my research on this.. I think you should all try to do the same this year..Because really, does your kids even play with all the junk they get at Christmas?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ashley i'm so with you on this. I'm taking my kids and some kids from church Friday to bring some food we've been collecting to the mission to show them the food pantry and to hear about the hunger problem in our county. I want my kids to see this as well. And no the Christmas presents they get last all of a good week and then they forget about them or lose the parts to them. We went to Hoiday world this Monday and stayed overnight in Evansville as part of our trip. I felt guilty beacause I knew there were people that would never experience that. I'm quick to tell my kids that when they complain about what they're eating or which restaurant we decide to eat at, that there are children that would love to be fed anything let alone go out and eat somewhere. I know the Gasper River Association deliverd thanksgiving meals and I'm thinking of getting in on it and getting my whole family involved. The cycle can stop. I want to do my part!! That's why we're here. I've been feeling like i've been waiting on something. Like God has something big for me and i'm not too sure that this isn't it. To help the poor, the less fortunate, and the widows. There's definitly a need. Here, not far away in some other country.

Ashley Bridges said...

Let me know about the Gasper River thing, that is exactly what I want Peyton to do this year with me..We have been talking about it everyday and she is getting excited about helping other people, We could do this together I am all about it..